Wednesday 2 October 2013

Chocolate Train Cake

Last week I made a Pigs in Mud cake for my friend who was leaving work. I also made a cake for her adorable 2 year old son. Like most 2 year old boys I know, he loves trains. I spent hours looking for a how-to guide online, when my mum suggested I looked in one of her old cookbooks. And that's exactly where I found this one. It was simple and easy to follow, unlike all the new fancy books out there now. It also used things that everyone would have around the house. The cylindrical part of the train was made from a tin can (I used mangos). Seriously, how clever!? I never would've thought of that! 


I loved how the cake turned out. It was my first time making a shaped cake, so it was all trial and error and there are a lot of things I'd do differently next time. I also know that I need to work on my piping skills. Straighter lines would've given it a must cleaner finish. But, all that was forgotten when I got sent a photo of my friend's son with his cake. The huge smile on his face is the reason I love baking! Apparently, he wouldn't let her cut it and kept on asking to play with it on the floor. How cute!!


250g butter
250g caster sugar
4 eggs
250g self-raising flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp hot water

Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line a square cake tin and a clean tin can. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Blend the cocoa powder and hot water. Cool slightly and beat into the mixture. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a tablespoon of the flour with the second egg. Fold in the remaining flour. Turn the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes for the cake tin and 20-30 minutes for the can. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.

Chocolate Buttercream
125g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tbsp milk

Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar. Blend the cocoa powder and water. Cool, then add to the mixture with the milk (if need).

Buttercream
30g unsalted butter
60g icing sugar, sifted
1/2 tbsp milk
Yellow food colouring

Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar. Add the food colouring and milk (if needed).

You will also need:
Candy eyes
Oreos
Liquorice Allsorts

Cut the square cake in half and lay one piece on a cake board to form the bace. Cut two thirds from the remaining third and place upright, cut side down, at one end of the base. Take the remaining third and place upright, cut side down, on the board beside the other two pieces. Cover all the pieces, and the round cake, with chocolate buttercream. Place the round cake on the base. Neaten the icing. Position 3 Oreo halves on each side for wheels. Using Liquorice Allsorts, make the windows, buffers and funnels. Using the yellow icing, pipe along the edges of the train. Add candy eyes and a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment