Sunday 19 January 2014

Presidential Brown Bread

This recipe is one I've stolen from my mum. It's apparently the official brown bread of Áras an Uachtaráin, home of the president of Ireland. I've been making it quite a bit lately to bring into work with my homemade soup and it really is the perfect accompaniment. This recipe makes two loaves so I make two: use one and freeze the other for the next week. There's nothing like mum's bread!!


(makes 2 loaves)
450g wholemeal flour
175g plain flour
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g butter, softened
3 eggs, beaten
425-600ml buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 190ºC and line two loaf tins with baking paper. Sieve the flour, salt, sugar and bicarb. in a large bowl and mix to combine. (Or if you're lazy like me, just give it a good whisk!) Rub in the butter, then add the eggs and buttermilk (I usually use around 500ml) to make a wet mixture. Pour into your lined tines and bake for about 40 minutes. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment