Sunday 20 April 2014

Carrot Cupcakes

Happy Easter. I'm off to mum's for Sunday dinner so, of course, I said I'd bring something for dessert. 

 

I'm still not convinced that vegetables belong in a cake, but seeing as it's Easter I thought I'd give it another go! I used the same recipe as last time, with a few little changes. 


These cupcakes are so light and fluffy, and I love the cinnamon flavour in the cream cheese icing. I'm officially converted. I've even managed to eat two for breakfast.


This batch made 24 big cupcakes but I was seriously short on icing. I managed to spread it on about 18 of them before I ran out. I've adjusted the recipe below so you should have enough to cover them all.


(adapted from Donal Skehan)
275g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
275g caster sugar
4 large eggs
250ml vegetable oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
400g carrots, peeled and grated

Preheat your oven to 180ºC and line your cupcake tins. In a large bowl, sift in the flour, bicarb and cinnamon (or just give it a good whisk). In another bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar, until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in the oil, until completely incorporated and then add in the vanilla. Fold in the dry ingredients, until just mixed through. Finally, fold through the grated carrots. Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. 

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
400g cream cheese, softened
100g unsalted butter, softened
900g icing sugar
  4 tsp cinnamon
Beat together the cream cheese and butter, until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the icing sugar and cinnamon until well combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment